I have started my journey to become a writer during NaNoWriMo 2013. Can’t believe it’s already been seven months. During that time
1. I have finished the first draft of my novel Of Broken Things,
2. thought I had finished a short story called Mists of the Crossworlds, but it decided to become a novelette instead,
3. Finished the short story A Small Detour.
4. Started the first round of edits and rewrites on Of Broken Things.
5. Started brainstorming an idea for a new novel involving a vampire and a Tuata de Danan (don’t ask, I have no idea what’s going on there, I’m still busy torturing my characters and prying information out of them).
6. Had to get a big bucket for all the plot bunnies that started breading in my head at the speed of light.
7. Started submitting A Small Detour to different magazines.
Well, on May 24 I passed another important milestone on my writing journey. My short story had been accepted by Witty Bard Publishing LLC to be featured in their anthology Of Dragons and Magic: Tales of the Lost Worlds. Here is a beautiful picture of the cover:
This is a big deal for me. I know it’s just a short story, but to me this is proof that what I do is worth something. That I’m not just spinning stories for myself and my immediate family, and that other people might find it interesting and worth their while. As of two days ago, I ceased to be a pre-published writer and became an author.
To pick your curiosity, here is a little synopsis of A Small Detour: When Ryssa’s horse gets stolen along with most of her possessions, she is forced to take a small detour. Little does she know that this detour had been the destination the Norns had intended for her all along.
It’s available on Amazon (see link above), so go check it out, spread the word. The other stories in the anthology are well worth your while as well.
Onwards towards new accomplishments!